AFP avatar

AFP

AFP text, photo, graphic, audio or video material shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium. AFP news material may not be stored in whole or in part in a computer or otherwise except for personal and non-commercial use. AFP will not be held liable for any delays, inaccuracies, errors or omissions in any AFP news material or in transmission or delivery of all or any part thereof or for any damages whatsoever. As a newswire service, AFP does not obtain releases from subjects, individuals, groups or entities contained in its photographs, videos, graphics or quoted in its texts. Further, no clearance is obtained from the owners of any trademarks or copyrighted materials whose marks and materials are included in AFP material. Therefore you will be solely responsible for obtaining any and all necessary releases from whatever individuals and/or entities necessary for any uses of AFP material.

18679 articles published since 08 Mar 2022

Author's articles

Japan's sticky problem with Trump, tariffs and rice
Japan's sticky problem with Trump, tariffs and rice
Business and Economy

Donald Trump's insistence that "spoiled" Japan imports more US rice is adding to Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba's problems ahead of elections that could sink his premiership after less than a year in office. - No sacrifice - As a result, Ishiba's government has been at pains to say it won't bend on the issue -- although this may change after the election.

Stocks mostly rise on trade deal optimism
Stocks mostly rise on trade deal optimism
Business and Economy

Asian markets mostly rose Thursday on optimism that governments will hammer out deals to avoid the worst of US President Donald Trump's tariffs even after he broadened his range of measures. The US president also said this week he would put a 50 percent tariff on copper imports, while considering a 200 percent charge for pharmaceuticals.

Trump issues more letters to countries in push for tariff deals
Trump issues more letters to countries in push for tariff deals
Business and Economy

US President Donald Trump released a fresh set of letters to trading partners Wednesday, setting out tariff rates for six countries as Washington pushes to bring about a flurry of trade deals. While the president in April imposed a 10 percent levy on almost all trading partners, he unveiled -- and then held off on -- higher rates for dozens of economies.

Copper giant Chile awaits 'official' news on US tariff raise
Copper giant Chile awaits 'official' news on US tariff raise
Business and Economy

Chile, the world's biggest copper producer, said Wednesday it was awaiting an "official" follow-up on US President Donald Trump's announcement of a 50 percent tariff on imports of the metal. State-owned copper giant Codelco, the world's single biggest producer of the metal used in wiring, motors and renewable energy generation, also noted there had been no formal communication on the US tariffs.

X chief Yaccarino steps down after two years
X chief Yaccarino steps down after two years
Business and Economy

Linda Yaccarino resigned Wednesday as CEO of X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter, after two years at the helm of the Elon Musk-owned company. Yaccarino -- a former NBCUniversal advertising executive -- took over as X's CEO in June 2023, replacing Musk who had been serving in the role since his $44 billion acquisition of Twitter in October 2022.

Six rescued from cargo ship attacked in Red Sea: EU naval force
Six rescued from cargo ship attacked in Red Sea: EU naval force
Business and Economy

Six mariners have been rescued after a deadly attack on a cargo ship that sank off rebel-held Yemen, an EU maritime force said Wednesday, as the search continued for the rest of the crew. Earlier, the British navy's United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations had reported five crew had been rescued after "search and rescue operations commenced overnight".

Commerzbank commits to strategy as UniCredit ups direct stake
Commerzbank commits to strategy as UniCredit ups direct stake
Business and Economy

German lender Commerzbank said Wednesday it was committed to its strategy after Italian bank UniCredit formally upped its stake in its rival, laying the ground for a potential takeover bid. Commerzbank has strongly resisted a possible takeover by UniCredit since the Italian bank announced in September it had quietly built up a stake in the German group.

Latest

Trending

Top stories

Page was generated in 0.092767000198364